The Policy and Procedures apply to a University student or to a participant in any University-related program or activity. For purposes of this Policy, the individual who is reported to have experienced Prohibited Conduct, regardless of whether that individual makes a report or participates in the review of that report by the University, and regardless of whether that individual is a University student, is referred to as the Claimant. The individual who is reported to have engaged in Prohibited Conduct is referred to as the Respondent.
The University has jurisdiction over a Respondent whenever the Prohibited Conduct occurs:
- On campus, including the University of Michigan Health System; or
- Off campus, including online or electronic conduct, if the conduct occurs:
- In connection with a University-related program or activity, including University-sponsored study abroad, research or internship programs;
- In a manner that may pose a serious threat of harm to any member(s) of the University community; or
- In a manner that may have the effect of creating a hostile environment for any member(s) of the University community.
The specific procedures for reporting, investigating, and resolving Prohibited Conduct are based upon the nature of the Respondent’s relationship to the University (student, employee, or third party). Where the Respondent is a student, the procedures for responding to reports of Prohibited Conduct committed by students are detailed in Sections VIII-XII below of the Policy and Procedures.